\

Wednesday 2 April 2014

I love pattern

Wow what a week last week was.  I have just finished week one of The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design (ABSPD) Module 1 Designing your way, and have loved every minute.  The course is 5 weeks long and is all online.   It is run by surface pattern designer, Rachael Taylor The first week is all about inspiration.

I began with some photography which helped to start seeing things differently.
 Here are a few of my photos of rectangles and circles.  I won't put them all up - dont worry.


These photos were then used to make sketches to create abstract motifs.  A big challenge for me was to have confidence in my sketching.  After some initial doubts I came up with these motifs and hope to use these some time in a pattern.

tyres and air bricks are inspirational - who knew?

I also did some sketches of some flowers based around hydrangeas and then made a very simple pattern on the computer. This pattern was also submitted to the most recent Tigerprint competition all but in a black and white version (the theme was Black and White).  Wish me luck.
Really loving the blue

Another part of this week was deconstructing patterns.  This opened my eyes to which sort of patterns I am drawn to and this will definitely help me with my own style.
After week one I am really pleased that I have taken this course.  The facebook group community are really supportive and encouraging and I look forward to seeing not only my own designs develop and grow but also those of my fellow students.  I also like that we are all working on the same initial idea but the way we interpret it is soo different.   I need to love using Photoshop as much as I love Illustrator.  Thank you Beth Kempton and Rachael Taylor for creating such a wonderful course - enjoying every minute and a little sad that week one is over.

2 comments:

  1. I greatly enjoyed reading this post, Sarah. I love the "organic geometric" nature of your hydrangea pattern. I'm on the course too and am having tremendous difficulty with the drawing and sketching side of things. The photography exercise certainly helped me to think more broadly - Never thought I'd be drawing a motif inspired by barbed wire! - and like you I'm really enjoying the community side of the facebook group and find it fascinating to see everybody's thought processes and how they develop and build upon early ideas. I look forward to seeing how your designs develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really happy you like the blog and are enjoying the course. I love it

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...